- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups blueberries
Level of difficulty Average
Cooking time 25mins
Cost Average budget
Cream the sugar and shortening. Add the eggs and vanilla. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together. Combine both mixtures with the milk. Add blueberries. Grease and flour 9 inch pan. Bake at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes.
Apple Cake: Add 2 cups cut-up apples and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon instead of blueberries.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
Try this clever trick to make the perfect zebra cake!
- 2 large water or soda bottles (empty)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 sticks butter
- 6 eggs
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Ready 2 large plastic bottles, cleaned and dried.
- Add 1 cup of flour to each bottle.
- Add 1/2 cup of sugar to each.
- Melt butter, then add equal halves to each bottle.
- Add 6 eggs, 3 in each.
- Add 1/2 tbsp of baking powder to each.
- Add 1/2 cup of heavy cream to each.
- Shake the bottles thoroughly until the contents are well mixed.
- In one of the bottles only, add the cocoa powder.
- Beginning with the cocoa powder mixture, add a dolop of batter to the center of a circular
- baking tin. Do the same with the other mixture, placing the dolop directly in the center of the previous one.
- Continue with alternating additions of each mixture until all batter is used and the tin is full.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!