Black Forest Cake
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 2 1/4 cups brown sugar firmly packed
- 3 eggs separated
- 1 teaspoon almond extract or vanilla
- 3 squares unsweetened chocolate melted and cooled
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup boiling water
- Kirsch or cherry brandy (optional)
- 2 cups whipping cream (35%)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 can (19 oz. 540 ml) cherry pie filling
- shaved dark chocolate
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Grease and flour 2 9 inch layer pans and line bottom with waxed paper.
Sift together first 3 ingredients and set aside.
Cream butter and gradually add brown sugar. Continue beating for 5 minutes.
Add egg yolks beating after each addition.
Stir in almond extract and chocolate.
Alternately blend in flour mixture and sour cream, 1/3 at a time on low speed.
Stir in boiling water. Blend well and pour batter into pans.
Bake 35 - 40 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes.
Remove on racks and cut each cake layer horizontally.
Brush cake layers with Kirsch.
whip cream until stiff adding sugar.
spread bottom layer with half the cherry pie filling.
Spread second layer with once cup whipped cream. Spread remaining pie fill on third layer.
Top with the forth layer. Cover entire cake with remaining whipped cream.
Garnish with chocolate and cherries.
You'll also love
- Incision cake "Capital" 4/5 (22 Votes)
- Caramel Cake Sauce 4.1/5 (8 Votes)
- Black Forest Roulade 2.9/5 (17 Votes)
- Holly Clusters 1/5 (1 Votes)
- "Light" Hot Chocolate 1/5 (1 Votes)
- My American Chocolate Chip Cookies 1/5 (1 Votes)
- Maw's Turkey Stuffing 1/5 (1 Votes)
- Great-Grandma Rose's pumpkin pie 0/5 (0 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Try this clever trick to make the perfect zebra cake!
- 2 large water or soda bottles (empty)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 sticks butter
- 6 eggs
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Ready 2 large plastic bottles, cleaned and dried.
- Add 1 cup of flour to each bottle.
- Add 1/2 cup of sugar to each.
- Melt butter, then add equal halves to each bottle.
- Add 6 eggs, 3 in each.
- Add 1/2 tbsp of baking powder to each.
- Add 1/2 cup of heavy cream to each.
- Shake the bottles thoroughly until the contents are well mixed.
- In one of the bottles only, add the cocoa powder.
- Beginning with the cocoa powder mixture, add a dolop of batter to the center of a circular
- baking tin. Do the same with the other mixture, placing the dolop directly in the center of the previous one.
- Continue with alternating additions of each mixture until all batter is used and the tin is full.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!