Black Forest Roulade
- Jelly Roll:
- 6 large eggs separated at room temp
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- icing sugar for dusting
- Chocolate Cream:
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2oz semi sweet chocolate chopped.
- For Assembly:
- cherry pie filling
- 1 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 2 tbsp sugar
- block of chocolate for grating (optional)
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Preheat oven to 350 and line a 10x15 jelly roll pan with parchment paper.
Whisk egg yolks and sugar together by hand until lighter in color, then sift in cocoa powder.
Whip the egg white separately, adding the salt, until they hold medium peak.
Fold in 1/3 of the egg whites to egg yolk mixture using the whisk. Gently fold in the remaining 2/3 egg white with spatula and spread into prepared pan.
Bake for 25 min. Remove from oven and let cool completely in pan.
For the chocolate cream heat the whipping cream to just a simmer and pour over chopped chocolate. Let sit for a minute then mix until the chocolate is melted. Cool then chill completely before whipping.
Whip the plain whipping cream with sugar and set aside.
Run offset spatula around the edge of the cake and flip onto an icing sugar dusted surface.Peel off parchment paper.
Spread chocolate whipped cream over the cake, followed by the cherry pie filling. Roll the cake from the small end and place seam side down on serving platter.
Cover cake with plain whipped cream and grate chocolate over the top, keep chilled until served.
You'll also love
- How You Like Them Apples, Nancy? 3/5 (20 Votes)
- Recipewe ♡ Plunkeys 2.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Mom's Gumdrop Cookies 3.1/5 (7 Votes)
- Club Soda Bread 3.1/5 (11 Votes)
- Ferrero Cake 2.9/5 (18 Votes)
- Easy Chocolate Cake 3/5 (13 Votes)
- Maw Maw's chocolate cream pie 2.9/5 (15 Votes)
- Delicious Chocolate Pie 2.7/5 (3 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Craving sweet? This rustic cherry tart is easy, quick and delicious!
- 1 shortcrust pastry
- 3 cups / 750 g. of cherries
- 1/3 cup / 60 g. of sugar
- 2/3 cup / 60 g. of almond flour
- 4 tbsp. of brown sugar
- A dash of milk
- Mix the cherries and sugar together. Let stand 20 minutes.
- Spread or roll out the shortcrust pastry, sprinkle with almond powder and brown sugar.
- Place the cherries in the center of the dough, leaving about 2 inches of free dough on the edges. Fold in the edges.
- Brush with milk (this will make the crust go golden), sprinkle with brown sugar and bake for 20 minutes at 350°F/180°C.
- Top with a handful of chopped pistachios, and serve!