Maple- Orange Prune Jingle Bells Pastries
These pastries are easy and fun to make with the kids.
Full of flavor, crisp and super delicious!
- 4 cups al- purpose flour
- 4 tsp. orange extract
- 2 egg
- 1 tsp salt
- 8 oz. cold butter
- cut into small pieces
- Prune filling:
- 1 ½ cups dried prunes
- 2 cups cold water
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
- 2 tbsp. butter
- Butter for greasing the pan
- Christmas cookie cutters
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 20mins
Cost Average budget
• Put the prunes in a sauce pan with 2 cups of cold water and 5 tablespoons of the sugar.
• Bring slowly to a boil and cook over low heat for 20 to 2 5 minutes, or until the prunes are very tender. Drain the prunes, cut them in half and pit them.
• Mix them well with the remaining sugar, maple syrup and butter.
• To make the dough, pour the flour onto a pastry board and make a well in the center.
• Put in the orange extract, egg, salt, and the pieces of butter.
• Work all of the ingredients together with your hands until a smooth dough is formed.
• Roll out the dough, fold it in quarters and roll it out again about 1/8 inch thickness.
• Cut out the dough with cookie cutters, you should have pairs of cut shapes
• Butter the cookie sheet and line it with one set of dough. Place some of the prune mixture on each half.
• Cover with the other matching half, seal with a fork.
• Preheat the oven to 300° F.
• Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the edges of the pastry are lightly brown.
A cold surface or countertop helps the pastry hold its shape while baking.