House Special; Beignets
Princess and the Frog based, yummy donut like pastry that melts in your mouth.
House Special; Beignets. Discover our recipe.
- 1 (1/4 oz.) envelope of active dry yeast
- 1 2 cup warm water (105° to 115°)
- 1 tsp. granulated sugar
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. of salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar.
- 1 cup hot water (about 115°)
- 1/4 cup of shortening
- 4 cups flour
- 2 1 2 to 3 cups more flour
- Frying oil
- Powdered sugar
Level of difficulty Difficult
Preparation time 50mins
Cooking time 3mins
Cost Average budget
Combine 1 (1/4 oz.) envelope of active dry yeast, 1 2 cup warm water (105° to 115°), and 1 tsp. granulated sugar in bowl of a heavy-duty stand mixer; let stand 5 minutes.
Add 1 cup evaporated milk, 2 large eggs (slightly beaten), 1 tsp. of salt, and 1/2 cup granulated sugar.
Microwave 1 cup water until hot (about 115°); stir in 1/4 cup of shortening until melted. Add to yeast mixture. Beat at low speed, gradually adding 4 cups flour, until smooth.
Gradually add 2 1 2 to 3 cups more flour, beating until a sticky dough forms.
Transfer to a lightly greased bowl; turn to grease top. Cover and chill 4 to 24 hours.
Turn dough out onto a floured surface; roll to 1 4-inch thickness. Cut into 2 1 2-inch squares.
Pour oil to depth of 2 to 3 inches into a Dutch oven; heat to 360°.
Fry dough, in batches, 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Dry on a wire rack.
Drizzle with honey. Dust immediately with powdered sugar.
Let cool slightly, serve at warm temp.
You'll also love
- Willie's brownies 5/5 (1433 Votes)
- YUM!Food Porn Country Style Apple Pie 4.6/5 (1115 Votes)
- Spiced Apple and Marscapone Ravioli 4.5/5 (926 Votes)
- YUM!Food Porn Drop Donuts 4.1/5 (358 Votes)
- YUM!Food Porn Garlic and Parsley Domplines 4.4/5 (170 Votes)
- Puerto Rican Domplines 4.2/5 (165 Votes)
- YUM!Food Porn Beignets with Bourbon Walnut Sauce 4.3/5 (140 Votes)
- Classic French Ratatouille with... 4.3/5 (163 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
All you need is 3 main ingredients to make this Chocolate Strawberry Braid for dessert tonight!
- 7-9 medium-sized strawberries
- 1 puff pastry
- 1 chocolate bar
- 1 egg yolk
- Almond slivers
- Powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut the strawberries into halves.
- Dust some flour on a flat surface and spread your puff pastry out on top, smoothing it into a rectangle shape if necessary.
- Place the bar of chocolate in the center, then top with a layer of strawberry halves.
- Using a pizza cutter or a knife, slice the edges of the puff pastry into strips that can be wrapped over the chocolate and strawberries. Starting with the flap at the top, fold over each strip in a slightly diagonal direction so that they resemble a braid.
- Brush the braid with a beaten egg yolk so that it covers the entire visible surface.
- Sprinkle almond slivers on top.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes.
- Give the braid a few minutes to cool down, then cover with a dusting of powdered sugar.
- Serve and enjoy!