15-Minute Breakfast Recipes for A Healthy Heart
If your heart's going to be racing at any time of the day, we bet it's going to be first thing in the morning! From early alarms, to dropping the kids off at school, it's difficult to find a moment to even grab a coffee.
But some studies suggest people who don't have breakfast may be at a higher risk of cardiovascular disease, so it's important to take a moment to indulge in a healthy breakfast.
Let's bring the blood pressure down with these hearty breakfast recipes!
© iStock / Getty Images Plus / Arx0nt
Deliciously creamy but full of healthy properties, avocado really is a super food. According to research published in the Journal of the American Heart Association, eating just one avocado twice a week can cut down the risk of developing heart disease by 21%.
Avo toast is a tasty breakfast option that is convenient for busy people, and allows you to get creative with toppings! We love to add a few chopped tomatoes, some aragula leaves, and a pinch of salt and pepper. If possible use sourbread as it's a little denser, and allows the avocado to sink in to the bread without it getting soggy. It's also a good idea to mix in a little honey, as it adds a touch of sweetness to the creamy avocado tones.
From busy breakfasts to brunches, avo toast is always there for us!
Ingredients (for one person):
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- 1 avocado (pitted)
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp honey
- A pinch of salt
- A pinch of pepper
- Once the avocado is sliced in half and pitted, scoop its contents into a bowl and mush using a fork.
- Add the olive oil and whisk. The avocado should have a creamy, smooth consistency with the odd avocado chunk.
- Mix the honey in, and squeeze in the 1/2 lemon.
- Season with a pinch of salt and pepper
- Lightly toast the sourbread, and spread the mixture on
- Garnish to your desire. A few sweet chili flakes work well sprinked on, or you could even add a poached egg.
More steaming articles
Chef Tips and Tricks
Who do you know that would love these delicious baked egg and ham cups?