Delicious Seasonal Recipes to Enjoy this July
Stuck for dinner inspiration? We've got you. Here's our fave selection of colourful, fresh, and all-round summery recipes to try out this month.
© Getty Images / margouillatphotos
Mousakka is a Greek dish similar to lasagna but instead of pasta sheets, eggplant is used (which means it's even healthier!)
It's a mix of tomatoey lamb and creamy cheesiness, in other words, it's the ultimate comfort food! Pair with a fresh salad for a perfectly healthy - but tasty - dinner.
Ingredients (for 4 people):
- 2 lbs. eggplant
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 1 lbs. of lamb
- 1 cup white wine
- 6 fresh tomatoes (seeded and diced)
- 3 cups bechamel sauce
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 100 g grated cheese
- 1 tbsp butter
- A pinch of salt and pepper (for seasoning)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Thinly slice the eggplant, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Let it stand for 1 hour.
- Sauté the onion in a little oil and add the minced meat. Fry until it changes color.
- Mix the tomatoes with the white wine. Season with salt and pepper, and cook under cover for 45 mins.
- In a skillet, heat up the olive oil. Add the eggplant and fry until golden brown on both sides.
- Grease a baking dish with butter and cover the bottom of the dish with half the eggplant.
- Top with the meat and tomato mixture. Finish with another layer of eggplant/
- Add the beaten egg yolks to the bechamel sauce, and 2/3 of the grated cheese. Spoon the mixture over the eggplant. Sprinkle over the remaining cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 45 mins until golden brown.
More steaming articles
Chef Tips and Tricks
Did you know you can toast sweet potato slices... and it's absolutely delicious!
- Slice an avocado in half.
- In a bowl, combine avocado with half an onion (diced) and coriander.
- Add the juice from half a lemon and some salt, and mix.
- Cut a sweet potato into 1/2 inch slices.
- Place in a toaster, making sure to toast both sides.
- Spread the avocado mix onto the toast. Enjoy!