The Dark Truth Behind Your Canned Tomatoes
An investigation into the Italian agricultural sector revealed startling human rights abuses by two major food companies.
The Uncanned Truth
Many households all over the world rely on canned tomatoes and pasta sauces, which are often Italian exports. Although these products make it easier to put dinner on the table, they mask an ugly truth. It's time to cast away the shadows and examine the human cost of your spaghetti bolognese.
More steaming articles
Chef Tips and Tricks
Looking for an easy snack or party appetizer? These little beef pockets are a pinch!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 lb ground beef
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- Mix flour, sugar, salt, milk, and water in a pan, and mix until you form a dough.
- In a saucepan, heat a splash of olive oil and add the onion. Cook on medium-high until onion has softened.
- Add the ground beef, and add the salt, water, and tomato sauce. When the meat has browned, remove from heat.
- Dust a flat surface with flour, and roll out the dough into a flat sheet.
- Use a ramekin or cup to cut out circles.
- Add a dollop of beef-tomato mixture to the center of each circle.
- Pinch the dough into a little pocket.
- Bake in the oven at 350° F for 15 minutes.