Tired Of Popcorn? Pop This Grain Instead
Popcorn is one of the best snacks out there—it's light, fluffy and goes perfectly with Netflix. But did you know there's another grain out there that's basically like popcorn's cute little sister but won't get stuck in your teeth as easily? Can you guess which one?
© Getty Images
Popcorn's Little Sister
The answer: Popped sorghum! Sorghum is a grain plant with edible starchy seeds. It's thought to have originated in Africa, and today, India is actually one of its largest producers. In the US, sorghum is mostly used to feed livestock, though it used to be made into molasses and sold as a cheap, abundant sweetener in the South years ago. Despite talk in recent years of it becoming the next "superfood," it's not yet a household staple for the general population. So what's so special about it anyway?
More steaming articles
Chef Tips and Tricks
Did you know you can toast sweet potato slices... and it's absolutely delicious!
- Slice an avocado in half.
- In a bowl, combine avocado with half an onion (diced) and coriander.
- Add the juice from half a lemon and some salt, and mix.
- Cut a sweet potato into 1/2 inch slices.
- Place in a toaster, making sure to toast both sides.
- Spread the avocado mix onto the toast. Enjoy!