7 Secrets to Making the Perfect Stew Every Time
Stewed meat dishes are the perfect comfort food—when done right. Here are the 7 secrets to making the moistest, tastiest stew of your life.
Choose the right meat
For stews, you want to pick cuts of meat that are referred to as "cheap cuts," or any pieces that are tough and lean. They usually come from the biggest or most-used muscles in animals. And as an added bonus—most of the time, these are the least expensive pieces sold by the pound.
Examples: pot roast, bottom round roast, rump roast, top round, chuck, chuck roast, chuck shoulder, ribs, shank, etc.
More steaming articles
Chef Tips and Tricks
These tasty stuffed cabbage rolls are so easy!
- 1 onion
- 5 - 6 thick rashers bacon
- 1/2 lb sausage meat
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 1 cabbage head
- Fry the bacon in a skillet, then add onion, and meat.
- Add tomato paste, bell peppers, garlic and salt, and simmer till cooked through
- Boil 1 whole cabbage head in salted water till tender
- Spoon mixture into individual cabbage leaves, and fold carefully to form little rolls
- Serve with any remaining mixture