Spinach and Mushroom Stuffed Chicken
- 4 skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 2 sheets of parchment paper
- 1 pkg (10 oz) frozen chopped spinach
- 4 oz can of chopped mushrooms
- 1 small shallot
- 2 T butter
- 2 cloves garlic
- Salt & pepper
- 1 C part skim ricotta
- 1/2 C grated Romano
- 1/2 tso ground nutmeg
- 2 T olive oil
- Sauce -
- 2 T butter
- 2 T flour
- 1/2 C white wine
- 1 C chicken broth
Level of difficulty Difficult
Place chicken in middle of parchment paper and place second sheet over top. Pound out chicken from the center outward using a Malloy. Be firm but controlled with your strokes.
Defrost spinach in the microwave. Transfer spinach to a kitchen towel. Twist towel around spinach and wring it out until very dry. Add spinach to food processor.
Place a non stick skillet over medium heat. When skillet is hot, add the butter, mushrooms, garlic and shallots. Season with salt and pepper and sauté about 5 minutes. Transfer mushroom mixture to food processor. Add ricotta, grated cheese and nutmeg and pulse to grind mixture. Return skillet to the stove over medium heat.
Place a mound of stuffing on each breast, while on parchment paper, wrap and roll breast over stuffing. Secure breasts with toothpicks.
Add breasts to the pan and brown on all sides, cooking chicken 10-12 minutes. The meat will cook fast because its thin.
Remove breasts from pan. Add butter to the pan and flour. Cook butter and flour for about 1 minute; whisk in the wine and reduce another minute, whisk in broth. Reduce heat and simmer until ready to serve. Remove toothpicks.
Serve breasts whole or remove from pan, slice on an angle and fan out on plates. Top stuffed breasts or sliced stuffed breasts with generous spoonfuls of sauce.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
Bursting with cheese and wrapped up in bacon, these stuffed chicken breasts are totally irresistible!
- Chicken breast
- 6 -8 bacon slices
- 1 cup spinach leaves
- 1 small jar semi-dried tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Carefully slice the chicken breasts, forming a pocket, without cutting right through.
- Fry the breasts until golden brown on both sides.
- Layer bacon slices on a chopping board.
- Place the chicken breast on the far left, and top with spinach leaves, semi-dried tomatoes and cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Roll the chicken breast in the bacon slices, folding it closed as you go.
- Cook in the oven for 20 minutes at 375°F.
- Serve, and enjoy!