A tasty spin on the classic apple dumplings.
- 6 medium-large baking apples
- peeled and cored (reserve the peels!)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 7 tablespoons orange juice
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 6 teaspoons butter
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 60mins
Cost Average budget
Place the water and the apple peelings in a saucepan and cover.
Cook over medium heat 5-10 minutes until the peelings are tender.
Remove the peelings; add the sugar and continue to cook for another 10 minutes.
Remove from the heat and set aside.
In a large bowl sift together the flour and salt.
Cut in the shortening until small peas forms.
Mix in the orange juice until the dough holds together.
Form the dough into a square.
On a floured surface roll the dough out into a rectangle that is roughly 12x18 inches.
Cut the dough into 6 strips that are 6x9 inches.
Wrap a pastry strip around each apple, sealing the side and bottoms.
Place in a baking dish so the apples are not touching.
In a bowl combine the brown sugar and nutmeg.
Divide evenly among the center of the apples.
Place 1 teaspoon butter in the center of each apple.
Pour the reserved syrup around the dumplings.
Bake for 45 minutes.
Bast the apple with the syrup.
Continue cooking another 15 minutes.
Serve while warm with ice cream
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
Sweet Apple Cinnamon Rolls
Pie crust dough
1/8 cup brown sugar
1/8 cup almond powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1. Halve an apple and slice each half finely.
2. Cut the top of a pie crust to get a straight edge.
3. Spread the brown sugar and almond powder all over the dough.
4. To get the first row, line up the apples in a straight line and cut out the section. Continue until all the dough is all used up.
5. Mix egg yellow and milk and cover each roll with the mixture.
6. If you wish, sprinkle a little extra brown sugar on top of each roll.
7. Bake in the oven for 18 min at 350° F.