Old Fashioned Apple Dumplings
These mini pies are flavored with cinnamon sugar and bake in water to create a rich buttery sauce. These are the perfect dessert served in milk, with whipped cream, or my favorite with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream!
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 6 Tbsp milk
- 3 large apples (Gala, Jonagold, Jazz), peeled and sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- Serve with milk, whipped cream, or ice cream
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 45mins
Cost Average budget
Preheat the oven to 375˚ F. In a mixing bowl add the flour and salt, stir.
With a pastry blender or a fork, cut in the shortening until the mixture is a coarse meal.
Add the lemon juice and the milk and stir with a wooden spoon to make the dough.
Cover with a cloth and set aside.
Peel and thinly slice the apples, place in a bowl and set aside.
Combine the 1/2 cup sugar with the 2 tsp cinnamon and place in a small bowl. Cut the butter into small pieces, set aside. Spray 2 9x13 or in my case a 10x15 and a 8x8 inch pan with non-stick cooking spray.
Lightly flour a work surface and a rolling pin. Roll out the dough into a thin rectangle.
With a knife or pizza cutter, slice the dough into wedges. In the center of each wedge place a small handful of apples, generously sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and then dot with some of the butter cubes.
Seal each dumpling leaving the corners open.
Place in the prepared pans leaving space between each dumpling. Pour enough water into each pan to reach about 1/2" in height. Generously sprinkle the tops with the plain sugar. Bake until golden brown about 40-45 minutes.
It may not take as long or it may take a little longer depending on how much water you use and how your oven cooks. You want a nice beautiful color on the crust and it should not be doughy on the top at all but have a nice crispness to it.
(After taste testing my husband told me to put more butter and more cinnamon sugar next time, so be more generous than I was in the picture!)
You'll also love
- Apple Falooda 4.6/5 (21 Votes)
- Cherry Cheese Cake 4.1/5 (17 Votes)
- Too Easy Apple Cobbler Cake 2.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Sauerkraut and Kielbasa 2.7/5 (33 Votes)
- Authentic Japanese Potstickers 2.6/5 (11 Votes)
- Chicken and Dumplings from Biscuits 2.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Homestyle Baked Apples 1.4/5 (64 Votes)
- Apple Crisp 0/5 (0 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Sweet Apple Cinnamon Rolls
Pie crust dough
1/8 cup brown sugar
1/8 cup almond powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1. Halve an apple and slice each half finely.
2. Cut the top of a pie crust to get a straight edge.
3. Spread the brown sugar and almond powder all over the dough.
4. To get the first row, line up the apples in a straight line and cut out the section. Continue until all the dough is all used up.
5. Mix egg yellow and milk and cover each roll with the mixture.
6. If you wish, sprinkle a little extra brown sugar on top of each roll.
7. Bake in the oven for 18 min at 350° F.