Homestyle Baked Apples
- 4 medium granny smith apples
- 1/2 cup apple brandy or maple syrup
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 pint nonfat vanilla frozen yogurt
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Preheat oven to 350F. Using a vegetable peeler and starting from the top of each apple, remove the peel one third of the way down.
Place apples in a shallow baking glass baking dish. Pour brandy and cider evenly over each apple. Sprinkle centers with brown sugar and oats.
Bake apples, basting frequently with juices, until tender, about 55 minutes.
Place apples in individual serving bowls, top each with a scoop of frozen yogurt. Serve immediately.
Prepare in advance:
If peeling apples ahead of time, drizzle peeled portions with fresh lemon juice and wrap apples with plastic wrap. This will prevent the apples from discoloring. Refrigerate until ready to bake. Proceed as recipe directs. You can also bake the apples ahead of time, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate. Reheat apples in a 200F oven before serving.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
This French tarte tatin is golden, caramelized apple perfection!
- 1 puff pastry
- 6 apples, sliced
- 3 oz. chilled butter, chopped into chunks
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- Roll out a puff pastry.
- Lay out the apple slices in a pan.
- Add chunks of butter on top of the apples.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar on top.
- Cook for 20 minutes in oven at 350°F, to caramelize the apples.
- Place puff pastry on top of the caramelized apples.
- Cook for 15 minutes at 350°F.