Red Velvet Cake w/ Cream Cheese Vanilla Bean Icing
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2½ tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons red food coloring
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ teaspoons white vinegar
- 1/2 cup of butter (1 stick), room temperature
- 8 oz of Philly cream cheese (1 package), room temperature
- 2 - 3 cups of powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla bean paste
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
1 Preheat the oven to 350°F. Beat the butter and sugar in an electric mixer for 3 minutes on medium speed until light and fluffy.
2 Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until each is fully incorporated. Be sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl to ensure even mixing.
3 In a large bowl, sift together the cake flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. In another bowl whisk together the buttermilk, vinegar, vanilla extract, and red food coloring.
4 Add a fourth of the dry ingredients and mix, then add a third of the wet. Continue adding in a dry, wet, dry pattern, ending with the dry ingredients.
5 Scoop into cupcake papers, about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way full. Bake for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Rotate the pan after the first 15 minutes of baking to ensure even baking.
1 Cream the butter and cream cheese together, about 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl to ensure even mixing.
2 Add the vanilla paste and mix
3 Add the powdered sugar, continually taste to get to desired sweetness. Pipe onto cooled cupcakes.
You'll also love
- Vanilla Pear Compote 4.5/5 (37 Votes)
- Vanilla French toast 4.5/5 (23 Votes)
- Creole Rice Cake 4.3/5 (21 Votes)
Review this recipe