Leora's sausage, apple and cranberry stuffing
- 1 and 1/3 cups low salt chicken broth
- 14 ounces corn bread cubed (about 12 cups)
- 1 pound sweet italian sausage without casing
- 1/4 cup butter
- 6 cups sliced leeks
- 1 pound tart green apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 2 cups chopped celery with leaves
- 4 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 2/3 cups chopped fresh parsley
- 3 eggs beaten
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 120mins
Cost Average budget
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Divide bread c.ubes between 2 large baking sheets and bake until slightly dry about 15 minutes then cool completely
Saute sausages in heavy skillet over medium heat until cooked completely, crumbling coarsely with back of spoon.
Transfer sausage to large bowl. Pour off drippings from skillet.
In same skillet; melt butter or medium heat then add leeks, apples, celery and poultry seasoning and saute until leeks soften. ( about 8 minutes)
Mix in dried cranberries and rosemary.
Add mixture to the sausage, then mix in bread and parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Can be made ahead and refrigerated.