How To Use Vinegar to Eliminate Strong Odors from Your Clothes
Traces of deodorant, the smell of tobacco, cat or dog hairs... There are just some problems that even the best laundry products can't seem to solve.
However, there is one everyday household ingredient that you probably already at home that can be surprisingly helpful in this task: vinegar.
Before you ask, we know what you're thinking: "But won't that make all my clothes smell like vinegar?!" We wondered the same thing.
But thankfully, the answer is no! Instead, using white distilled vinegar in your laundry can offer a ton of benefits:
1. Add a 1/2 cup of vinegar along with your detergent. This will boost the effectiveness of the detergent and protect your colorful clothes from bleeding.
2. If you'd like, you can also use it to completely replace your softener: it will have the same effect on your clothes while being less harmful to the environment than harsh, store-brought products.
3. Stains from sweat and deodorant (the ones you never thought you'd be able to get rid of) will also come off with the help of vinegar.
4. Sometimes the detergents that we buy from the store will leave traces on our clothes that can irritate sensitive skin and even cause allergies. Vinegar nullifies this effect.
5. It also neutralizes strong odors such as that caused by tobacco.
6. You know that annoying static shock that some clothes get after they've been through a laundry cycle? Vinegar can help prevent that.
7. To get rid of the stubborn dirty patches that somehow end up all over our kids' clothes at the end of the day, put the garments in a bucket of hot water and a cup of vinegar and leave them there overnight. The next day, wash them as normal. The spots will be gone!
8. If you have pets, you know that it's almost impossible to rid your clothes of their hairs, no matter how many washes you try. Vinegar is the solution.
9. For washing clothes by hand, add 2.5 cups of vinegar to the water and let the garments soak for half an hour. This will work even for delicate pieces.
10. Vinegar is also very helpful in keeping your washing machine sparkling clean, as it prevents lime and dirt from accumulating over time. This will make your washing machine more efficient for many years longer.
Did you find these tips helpful? Have any of your own to add? Let us know in the comments!