Foodie Destinations Around the World: Copenhagen
Copenhagen's mix of high-end restaurants and cheap eats makes it the perfect city for food-lovers of every budget.
Copenhagen, Denmark's capital, is a world-class city filled with trendy restaurants, cool cafes, and delicious markets. It attracts people from all over the country, all over Europe, and all over the world to its seaside ports. 10% of the Danish population lives in Copenhagen, and the city is composed of 73% Danish-born citizens, with the other 27% from diverse roots.
The city boasts 27 Michelin-starred restaurants, including the world famous Noma and the 3 Michelin-star Geranium. However, even for travelers with more conservative budgets, Copenhagen is one destination you won't want to miss.
Home to several food markets, part of Copenhagen's foodie charm is wandering through the numerous stalls. Among the most well-known are Torvehallerne with 60 stands, and the new Reffen with 50. Opened in 1889, Torvehallerne is one of the oldest markets in Copenhagen. There, you can find everything from sit-down restaurants to bookstores and spice shops.
Reffen just opened in May 2018, but already it has caused a buzz thanks to its multifaceted attractions. At this market, not only will you find delicious up-and-coming spots to get a bite, but also cultural programs and events.
Though Copenhagen is relatively small, the 2019 Michelin Guide awarded 27 of the city's restaurants with its prestigious stars. The country's only restaurant with 3 stars is Geranium, and as its name suggests, the menu explores the human relationship to nature.
Rene Redzepi is known for his innovative cooking techniques and use of local ingredients. His 2 Michelin-starred restaurant Noma features a highly seasonal menu that showcases Copenhagen's local offerings, as well as the chef's love for traditional cooking methods, like fermentation.
If you're looking for an excellent dining experience that's still budget-conscious, however, here are a few suggestions.
Juno the Bakery - Århusgade 48
We often refer to breakfast pastries as "danishes" here in the US, and one stop at Copenhagen's Juno the Bakery is all it takes to understand why. The bakery and cafe is famous for their cardamom buns, but there are plenty of buttery, delicious pastries to choose from. No matter what time you go, you're sure to wait in line, but it moves quickly and the payoff is definitely worth it.
Mirabelle - Guldbergsgade 29
This organic restaurant features freshly made pasta and a sumptuous mix of artisanal Italian products with Danish produce. If you visit Mirabelle in the morning or afternoon, you may even snag one of their tasty pastries, like their sourdough croissants. This bakery and restaurant is a favorite with locals and tourists alike.
Riz Raz - Kompagnistræde 20
Featuring both a Mediterranean buffet and a full menu, Riz Raz brings modern Mediterranean cuisine to the heart of Copenhagen. The cozy dining experience and fresh dishes have endeared the restaurant to the city.
Cafe Petersborg - Bredgade 76
To enjoy traditional Danish fare, head over to Cafe Petersborg. They offer a mix of fish and meat courses in a convivial environment that's perfect no matter what time of year you go. This laidback spot has been around since the 1700s and is now seen as a must for visitors and loyal locals.
Want more? Check out Foodie Destinations Around the World: Toronto.