- 1/2 c. shortening (or butter)
- 1 2/3 c. sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 2 oz. unsweetened chocolate squares
- 2 c. flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/3 c. milk
- powdered sugar
Level of difficulty Easy
Cost Average budget
Cream shortening, sugar, vanilla and eggs. Melt and cool chocolate; add to shortening mixture. Sift flour, baking powder and salt; add to shortening mixture alternating with milk. Chill at least 3 hours. Make into 1 inch balls and roll in powdered sugar. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
Looking for something indulgent? These velvety chocolate beetroot cakes will hit the spot.
- 1.3 cups beetroot
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 4/5 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Melted dark chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Put the beetroot, eggs, oil and lemon juice in a food processor, and blend until smooth.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour and sugar.
- Add the blended beetroot mixture, and mix until smooth.
- Add the baking powder and mix until fully incorporated.
- Pour the batter into silicone cake moulds.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until you a pick comes out clean.
- Top with melted dark chocolate, and enjoy!