Baked French Toast
- Caramel base:
- 1 c. packed brown sugar
- 1/2 c. butter
- 2 T. light corn syrup
- pecans, chopped
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/2 c. milk
- 1 t. vanilla
- day old bread
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Boil brown sugar, butter and corn syrup in saucepan until thoroughly combined and looks smooth.
Grease baking dish. Pour hot caramel in dish and sprinkle with chopped pecans.
In mixing bowl, whisk eggs and then add milk and vanilla.
Put slices of day old bread on caramel and pecans. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
Pour custard over bread. Cover and put in refridgerator overnight.
Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 30-35 minutes or until custard is set.
I have made this in double layer and single layer. If using double layer, sprinkle cinnamon sugar on bread and then add 1/2 custard mix. Then layer more bread on top and repeat cinnamon sugar and custard. It will need to bake longer but be careful you don't bake it and dry the top out.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
Did you know you can toast sweet potato slices... and it's absolutely delicious!
- Slice an avocado in half.
- In a bowl, combine avocado with half an onion (diced) and coriander.
- Add the juice from half a lemon and some salt, and mix.
- Cut a sweet potato into 1/2 inch slices.
- Place in a toaster, making sure to toast both sides.
- Spread the avocado mix onto the toast. Enjoy!