Never Fail Pastry
- 5 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 lb shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp vinegar
Level of difficulty Difficult
Preparation time 20mins
Cost Average budget
Mix dry ingredients together. Cut up lard then add to dry ingredients and blend with a pastry knife until it looks like course oatmeal. Place egg and vinegar in measuring cup and mix then add enough cold water to fill cup to 3/4 cup. Add liquids slowly and mix with a fork. Only add enough liquid to make dough cling together and easily cleans off the bowl. Wrap and chill until ready to use. Makes 4 single crust pies or 2 double crust pies
You'll also love
- Willie's brownies 5/5 (1446 Votes)
- YUM!Food Porn Country Style Apple Pie 4.6/5 (1138 Votes)
- Spiced Apple and Marscapone Ravioli 4.4/5 (942 Votes)
- Stuffed Eggplant 3.8/5 (449 Votes)
- YUM!Food Porn Drop Donuts 4.1/5 (387 Votes)
- Lemon Meringue Tartlets 4.9/5 (229 Votes)
- Caramel Apple Tatin Cheesecake 3.9/5 (183 Votes)
- YUM!Food Porn House Special; Beignets 4.4/5 (140 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
These salted caramel thumbprint cookies are easy to make and super delicious!
- 1/4 cup / 50g of softened butter
- 1 egg (divide the yolk and white)
- 1/4 cup / 50g of sugar
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup / 150g of flour
- 1 cup / 100g of chopped nuts
- Salted caramel
- Melted dark chocolate
In a bowl, mix together the butter, egg yolk, sugar, and salt.
Add the flour and mix. Roll into a ball.
Chill for 30 minutes.
Remove from refrigerator. Divide the dough and roll into 1-inch balls.
Dip each ball in egg yolk, and then roll in chopped nuts.
Place on baking sheet (lined with parchment paper), and press your thumb into the center.
Bake at 340°F/170°C for 12 minutes, or until golden.
Remove from oven and let cool.
Pour the salted caramel into the center groove,and drizzle with dark chocolate.