No Bake Chewy Truffle Cookies
- 1 cup dried pitted dates, 4-ounces, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons honey or agave syrup
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat or no-stir natural chunky peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 full sheets whole wheat graham crackers, finely ground, about 1 1/4 cups
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats, not instant
- For coating: unsweetened coconut flakes, crushed graham crackers, finely chopped peanuts, low-fat granola, about 1/2 cup of each, optional
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 40mins
Cost Average budget
Combine the dates, water, and lemon juice in a medium saucepan. Simmer over medium heat breaking up any large pieces of dates with a spoon, until the mixture resembles a thick paste, 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in the honey, peanut butter, cocoa powder, butter and salt until evenly combined. Stir in the graham crackers and oats. Remove from heat.
Lightly mist a baking sheet with cooking spray. Drop level tablespoons of the cookie mixture onto the prepared pan. Refrigerate until just chilled and set, about 20 minutes.
Put desired optional toppings in small bowls. Roll each cookie in desired topping and flatten slightly into a plump disk. Cover and refrigerate until firm. Serve chilled.