- 6-7 cups flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 4 1/2 tsp yeast
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp shortening or oil
- 2 1/4 cups warm water
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 90mins
Cost Average budget
In a large bowl stir 3 1/2 cups of flour, sugar, salt, yeast and shortening or oil. Add warm water and stir well. Add 1 cup of flour at a time until dough leaves the sides of the bowl. Knead for 10 mins and add more flour until dough is smooth and springy. Place into an oiled bowl and covered with plastic and place in a warm place for 40-60 mins. Punch dough down in bowl and turn onto counter. Roll into 2 loaves. Brush with butter and allow to rise for 30-35 mins. Bake at 400 F for 25-30 mins
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
Try this clever trick to make the perfect zebra cake!
- 2 large water or soda bottles (empty)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 sticks butter
- 6 eggs
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Ready 2 large plastic bottles, cleaned and dried.
- Add 1 cup of flour to each bottle.
- Add 1/2 cup of sugar to each.
- Melt butter, then add equal halves to each bottle.
- Add 6 eggs, 3 in each.
- Add 1/2 tbsp of baking powder to each.
- Add 1/2 cup of heavy cream to each.
- Shake the bottles thoroughly until the contents are well mixed.
- In one of the bottles only, add the cocoa powder.
- Beginning with the cocoa powder mixture, add a dolop of batter to the center of a circular
- baking tin. Do the same with the other mixture, placing the dolop directly in the center of the previous one.
- Continue with alternating additions of each mixture until all batter is used and the tin is full.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!