Soft Shell Tacos with Cayenne Pepper
The kids all time favorites
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 lb lean ground beef/or sliced beef / or chicken/ or pork
- 1/2 cup canned tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 8 taco shells/or soft tortillas/ flour or corn
- diced onions
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
- shredded lettuce
- you can also use nontraditional things such as cucumbers or carrots,water chestnuts or any other vegetable you like.
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 20mins
Cost Average budget
Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium heat until simmering.
Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
Stir in the garlic, spices, and 1 teaspoon salt.
Cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Stir in the ground beef.
Cook, breaking it up with a spoon, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
Stir in the tomato sauce, broth, vinegar, and sugar.
Simmer until thickened, about 10 minutes.
Season with salt to taste.
I put out a tray with all of the toppings on it so they can put what they want. I have some who just like meat & cheese while others like everything
You can actually easily make your own taco shells but I usually buy the ones with the flat bottoms so they can be served easily.We also sometimes have Taco Salads as well. with the same ingrediants
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
These quick and easy chicken quesadillas are the perfect, last-minute family dinner!
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup of tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup of chives, chopped
- 1 tsp. of Mexican spice mix
- 4 Tortillas
- Salt, to taste
- Put shredded chicken breast, tomato sauce, chives, and mexican spice mix in a bowl and mix together.
- Lay out the tortillas. Place a slice of cheddar in the center, and cover with the chicken mix.
- Fold up tortillas, and heat in a frying pan until golden.