Nanking Cherry Liquer
Homemade liqueur is a nice way to use up fruit that is abundant when in season.
- 1 cup sugar per quart of berries
- Gin or vodka
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Fill sterilized quart jar with cherries. Add up to 1 cup sugar per quart of berries; less for a tangier taste. Fill jar with gin or vodka 1/2" from top. Seal tightly.
Turn over every day for 28 days then drain berries and pour liquid into sterilized wine bottles.
Uncle Bud's original recipe!
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
Craving sweet? This rustic cherry tart is easy, quick and delicious!
- 1 shortcrust pastry
- 3 cups / 750 g. of cherries
- 1/3 cup / 60 g. of sugar
- 2/3 cup / 60 g. of almond flour
- 4 tbsp. of brown sugar
- A dash of milk
- Mix the cherries and sugar together. Let stand 20 minutes.
- Spread or roll out the shortcrust pastry, sprinkle with almond powder and brown sugar.
- Place the cherries in the center of the dough, leaving about 2 inches of free dough on the edges. Fold in the edges.
- Brush with milk (this will make the crust go golden), sprinkle with brown sugar and bake for 20 minutes at 350°F/180°C.
- Top with a handful of chopped pistachios, and serve!