- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 5 unbeaten egg yolks
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Select a 10" tube pan and make sure that it is free of any grease.
Blend or sift together into a large mixing bowl flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in centre of dry ingredients. Add vegetable oil, unbeaten egg yolks, water and vanilla. Beat with a wooden spoon until smooth.
Measure egg whites into a large mixing bowl, and beat until frothy. Sprinkle with cream of tartar. Continue beating until very stiff peaks form. DO NOT UNDERBEAT. Gradually fold batter into beaten egg whites.
Turn batter into the tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife eliminate air bubbles. Bake in preheated 325 degree oven for 1 to 1 1/4 hours.
Invert cake immediately upon removal from the oven. Leave suspended until cold. Loosen with a knife or spatula and carefully shake cake from the pan.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
Try this clever trick to make the perfect zebra cake!
- 2 large water or soda bottles (empty)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 sticks butter
- 6 eggs
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Ready 2 large plastic bottles, cleaned and dried.
- Add 1 cup of flour to each bottle.
- Add 1/2 cup of sugar to each.
- Melt butter, then add equal halves to each bottle.
- Add 6 eggs, 3 in each.
- Add 1/2 tbsp of baking powder to each.
- Add 1/2 cup of heavy cream to each.
- Shake the bottles thoroughly until the contents are well mixed.
- In one of the bottles only, add the cocoa powder.
- Beginning with the cocoa powder mixture, add a dolop of batter to the center of a circular
- baking tin. Do the same with the other mixture, placing the dolop directly in the center of the previous one.
- Continue with alternating additions of each mixture until all batter is used and the tin is full.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!