Indian Chicken Curry
Easy, Quick and Delicious "Indian Curry Recipe that can be enjoyed with steamed rice / bread.
- 3 Medium Chicken Breasts – Cut into bite size pieces (You can use any piece of chicken with or without bones.)
- 1½ Cup Chopped Onion
- 1 Cup Chopped Tomato – I’m using fresh tomato, if using frozen or canned, then reduce the quantity to ½ cup
- 1 Tsp Ginger+Garlic Paste
- ½ Cup water
- 4 Tbsp Olive Oil – You can use vegetable or canola oil as well.
- 1 Tbsp Chopped Jalapeno – OPTIONAL (For Decoration)
- 1 Tbsp Fried Onion – OPTIONAL (For Decoration)
- Seasoning or Spices
- 2 Bay Leaves
- ½ Tsp Whole Pepper
- 3 Whole Green Cardamom (Choti Elaichi)
- ½ Stick Cinnamon(Dalchini)
- 1 Tsp Turmeric Powder(Haldi)
- 2 Tbsp Coriander Powder ( Dhania)
- 1 Tbsp Cumin Powder (Jeera)
- ½ Tsp Garam Masala Powder – You can get it easily at any Indian grocery store
- 1 Tsp Red Chili Powder
- 2 Tsp Salt (As per your taste)
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 5mins
Cooking time 25mins
Cost Budget Friendly
Warm the nonstick pan over high heat till hot (about a minute) and pour in the oil.
Reduce flames to medium, add bay leaves, whole pepper, green cardamom, cinnamon and sauté till they start to crackle.
Now add onion, ginger+garlic paste and saute until the onions turn light golden(about 3-4minutes)
Add all the remaining spices and tomatoes, sauté for a minute.
Cover the nonstick with lid and cook together till tomatoes and onions gets tender and brown for 4 minutes on low flame. (Saute in between to avoid burning or over browning)
Stir in the chicken, re-cover the nonstick and continue to cook until chicken is tender about 6-7minutes. (Saute every 2minutes)
Now add water to the chicken, re-cover and cook everything together for another 2-3minutes. (You can cook it 2-3 minutes longer if you like less curry)
Turn off heat and transfer into the serving dish.
Sprinkle with chopped jalapeno and fried onion and Serve hot with favorite bread / rice or Indian breads.
* You can choose any type of chicken from boneless or with bones/drumsticks/wings, etc
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
For a quick dessert fix, turn to this handy, dandy mug recipe!