Craving Sushi? Start with This Guide to Perfect Sushi Rice at Home
Everyone loves sushi, but it can be easy to overlook the most important aspect of all: the rice! Here, we break down the important steps to making great sushi rice at home.
What Is SuShi Rice?
First of all, choose your rice well. Put aside the Basmati and arborio, and buy a pack of quality sushi rice. This short-grained white rice is perfect for sushi as it retains its moisture when cooked and has just the right amount of stickiness to hold together. You should be able to find it in the specialty or exotic foods aisle at your local supermarket, but if not, try looking for it at an ethnic grocery store.
More steaming articles
Chef Tips and Tricks
These fun Tropical Salmon Sushi Cups make the perfect warm-weather appetizer!
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 cups cooked sushi rice
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp seasame oil
- 1 tsp chili paste
- 1 mango, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 lb salmon, diced
- Combine the rice vinegar and sugar.
- Stir though the cooked sushi rice, and with wet hands, shape into balls.
- Press the balls into ramekins lined with parchment paper, and press the rice up the sides of the ramekins into cup shapes.
- Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, combine the soy sauce, cilantro, sesame oil, chili paste and salt in a bowl.
- Combine the mango, avocado and salmon.
- Pour the soy mixture over the salmon mixture, and stir through until evenly coated.
- Remove the rice cups from the refrigerator, and peel off the parchment paper.
- Distribute the salmon mixture between the rice cups.
- Garnish, serve and enjoy!