How Long Is It Safe to Store Food in the Freezer?
"Safe" vs. "Good"
Brace yourself for a mind-blowing truth: it turns out, despite what your grandmother might swear by, frozen food simply can't go bad.
When you lower the temperature of the food enough, it prevents the growth of the very microorganisms that cause food to "go bad", in other words spoil or become infected with foodborne illnesses. But, unlike food that's kept at room temperature, there's no time limit.
According to the USDA, "Food stored constantly at 0 °F will always be safe. Only the quality suffers with lengthy freezer storage." The quality, then, rather than the safety is where you can determine a real expiration date.
More steaming articles
Chef Tips and Tricks
These quick and easy chicken quesadillas are the perfect, last-minute family dinner!
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup of tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup of chives, chopped
- 1 tsp. of Mexican spice mix
- 4 Tortillas
- Salt, to taste
- Put shredded chicken breast, tomato sauce, chives, and mexican spice mix in a bowl and mix together.
- Lay out the tortillas. Place a slice of cheddar in the center, and cover with the chicken mix.
- Fold up tortillas, and heat in a frying pan until golden.