Herb Crusted Salmon with Arugula Citrus Pesto and Grape Tomatoes
We have a small 19 x 7 elevated garden in our backyard growing, among other things, lush arugula. We love it when we can harvest parts or all of our dinner from the garden. You definitely can’t get it cheaper, fresher or with better all around quality. This dish came about as an alternative and innovative way to use the plentiful arugula in our garden. We love the peppery bitterness of the arugula and it's beautiful as a pesto or a pistou. This makes a very bright meal both in appearance and flavor.
This herb-crusted salmon dinner is DIVINE. Recipe here.
- For the Herb Crusted Salmon
- 4 Salmon filets, 6 oz each
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 Tbsp fresh oregano
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme
- 1 Tbsp fresh rosemary
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- For the Arugula Pesto
- 2 cups fresh arugula, stemmed
- 1/2 cup high quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 lime, zested
- 1/2 lime, juiced
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Make the pesto FIRST
Place the arugula, lime and lemon zest in food processor. Add the juice of the lemon and lime.
Pulse until you have a course chop. Next add pine nuts and parmesan cheese and pulse again to incorporate. Set aside until ready to plate.
For the salmon, stem rosemary, thyme and oregano and place in a spice mill. Blend the spices to mince and add sea salt.
Generously sprinkle herbs over salmon filets on both sides. Preheat a heavy bottom skillet over high heat. When heated add 2 Tbsp oil to the pan. Add the salmon filets to the skillet. and reduce heat to medium high. Cook filets for for 2 – 3 minutes (depending upon how well done you like your salmon). When you see the sides of the filets begin to turn a pinkish/white color turn the filets and cook the other side.
Cook another 2 minutes. This will give you a nice medium cooked salmon. If you want it cooked completely through, cook another minute. Remove from heat and plate.
Place salmon filets on a plate. Pour 2 Tbsp of the Arugula Citrus Pistou (recipe follows) on top of each filet and top with the quartered grape tomatoes. Serve & enjoy.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
These fun Tropical Salmon Sushi Cups make the perfect warm-weather appetizer!
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 cups cooked sushi rice
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp seasame oil
- 1 tsp chili paste
- 1 mango, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 lb salmon, diced
- Combine the rice vinegar and sugar.
- Stir though the cooked sushi rice, and with wet hands, shape into balls.
- Press the balls into ramekins lined with parchment paper, and press the rice up the sides of the ramekins into cup shapes.
- Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, combine the soy sauce, cilantro, sesame oil, chili paste and salt in a bowl.
- Combine the mango, avocado and salmon.
- Pour the soy mixture over the salmon mixture, and stir through until evenly coated.
- Remove the rice cups from the refrigerator, and peel off the parchment paper.
- Distribute the salmon mixture between the rice cups.
- Garnish, serve and enjoy!