low fat version of russian "piroshki"
Here is a low fat version I made of my grandma katrina's "piroshki" traditionally they are meat and cabbage filled but I made the cabbage version it's much healthier. enjoy!
- 1 medium head cabbage grated ( I grade this on a cheese grater the old stand up aluminum kind)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp. dried thyme leaves
- 1 tsp. salt and pepper to taste
- Flaky Butter Pastry (recipe follows)
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper to taste
- extra virgin olive oil
- Smart Balance buttery sticks
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tbs low fat milk
- 1 tbs lemon juice
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Measure 3 cups all-purpose flour into bowl. Cut in 1 cup Smart Balance buttery sticks, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Mix 1 egg with 1 tablespoon lemon juice and 4 tablespoons ice water. Sprinkle over flour mixture. Toss with fork until dough gathers into a ball. If necessary, add more ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time. Chill, if desired, to make handling easier.
Add the extra virgin olive oil about 1 tbs, half cup water, toss in cabbage and cook until tender and golden brown.
Add the onion, cook until tender then add the thyme and salt and pepper to taste. place cabbage mixture aside.
Prepare the pastry. Roll out to about 1/4 inch thickness. Cut out 4 inch rounds. Fill each with a rounded tablespoonful of cabbage filling. Fold pastry over filling.
Place on ungreased baking sheet, pressing edges together with fork. Brush with mixture of egg and milk.
Bake at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until pies are evenly golden. Serve hot, cooled to room temperature, or chill and reheat for serving later.
Makes 2 dozen piroshki, goes great with the creamy beet salad "vinegret" enjoy!
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
These tasty stuffed cabbage rolls are so easy!
- 1 onion
- 5 - 6 thick rashers bacon
- 1/2 lb sausage meat
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 1 cabbage head
- Fry the bacon in a skillet, then add onion, and meat.
- Add tomato paste, bell peppers, garlic and salt, and simmer till cooked through
- Boil 1 whole cabbage head in salted water till tender
- Spoon mixture into individual cabbage leaves, and fold carefully to form little rolls
- Serve with any remaining mixture