Mamma's Russian Beef Stroganoff
Here is my favorite recipe, which takes me back to childhood, my mama's russian stroganoff.
- 2 lbs lean boneless sirloin (trimmed of fat and gristle) or 2 lbs bottom round steaks
- in one piece (trimmed of fat and gristle)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter ( smart balance brand)
- 1 medium onion
- thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder (OR 1 Tablespoon prepared Dijon style mustard)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste (optional)
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- 1/2 lb mushroom
- thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1 cup light sour cream
Level of difficulty Easy
Cost Budget Friendly
Cut meat into 1/2 inch thick slices. Place between sheets of waxed paper and pound until its 1/4 inch thick (be careful not to tear meat). Cut pounded meat into 2x1/2 inch slices. Sprinkle meat with salt and pepper, let stand for 15 minutes.
Heat 2 TBS butter in a frying pan large enough to hold everything. Add sliced onion, cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
Add meat to pan and cook for 3 minutes, turning meat to brown evenly.
Stir in flour and mustard, and cook 1 minute more. Add 1/2 cup wine and optional tomato paste. Reduce heat to low, cover pan and simmer for 5-10 minutes, stirring frequently.
In another frying pan, heat 2 TBS butter. Add minced onion and mushrooms. Cook over medium heat 2 minutes. Add 2 TBS wine and cook 2 minutes more. Add mushroom mixture to meat mixture. Check seasonings and add warmed sour cream.
Over lowest possible heat, simmer for 5 minutes to heat through. Do NOT let it boil.
Serve over hot rice or pasta with a green vegetable on the side.enjoy!