Spiced Orange Flan with Pineapple Crumb topping
Similar to a traditional flan, except this custard is spiced with clove, cinnamon, nutmeg, and oranges.
- 4 eggs
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 c. milk
- Rind from 1 lemons
- Rind from 2 navel oranges
- 3 cloves
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp orange extract
- 1 c. mandarine oranges
- drained & chopped
- 1 c. crushed pineapple
- drained & squeezed dry
- 3/4 c.plain flour
- 1/4 c. dark brown sugar
- 1/4 c. melted margarine or butter
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 navel orange sliced--garnish
- 4 cinnamon sticks--garnish
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 90mins
Cost Budget Friendly
In a small saucepot, combine milk, rind from lemon and orange, cloves, 3 cinnamon sticks, and nutmeg. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat and cook for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and cool for 1 hour.
While milk cools, in a large bowl, beat eggs and sweetened condensed milk until well combined. Stir in mandarine oranges, vanilla, and orange extract.
Strain rind and seasonings from cooled milk. Gradually add milk to egg mixture, beating continuously to prevent curdling.
Pour custard mixture into ramekins placed in a baking dish. Pour boiling water around ramekins to create a hot water bath.
Bake at 325 degrees for 30-45 minutes, or until center begins to set. It will still jiggle slightly.
While custard are baking, combine pinapple, flour, brown sugar, margarine, and cinnamon. Sprinkle even amounts over the top of each custard.
Turn oven to broil and brown topping. Watch carefully so as to not over cook custard and burn topping.
Top each custard with a 1/2 orange slice and cinnamon stick.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
Sweet Apple Cinnamon Rolls
Pie crust dough
1/8 cup brown sugar
1/8 cup almond powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1. Halve an apple and slice each half finely.
2. Cut the top of a pie crust to get a straight edge.
3. Spread the brown sugar and almond powder all over the dough.
4. To get the first row, line up the apples in a straight line and cut out the section. Continue until all the dough is all used up.
5. Mix egg yellow and milk and cover each roll with the mixture.
6. If you wish, sprinkle a little extra brown sugar on top of each roll.
7. Bake in the oven for 18 min at 350° F.