Easy Tex Mex meal using leftovers for a fast delish meal that the kids will love...you can get them to make this too!
Check out more delicious recipes from Tasty Delights
- 6 10" whole tortillas
- 2 cups cooked shredded roast chicken
- 1 jalapeño, chopped fine or to taste
- 1 cup roasted vegetables (I used roasted fennel) use whatever vegetables you have leftover.
- 1/2 red pepper, sliced long strips
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 3 cup stewed tomato chunks in liquid
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 zucchini
- 5-8 cremini mushrooms (button can be used)
- 100g cream cheese
- 2 cup shredded old cheddar cheese
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 50mins
Cost Budget Friendly
In a preheated medium sized sauce pot, add 2 tbsp EVOO, add the garlic, zucchini, jalapeño and mushrooms.
Stir to cook down, so that vegetables soften for 5 min.
Add tomatoes, salt and oregano. Bring to a boil stirring every few minutes. Then reduce heat to medium #5-6 and cook for 20 min. stirring every few minutes to prevent scorching.
In a small preheated skillet, add 1 tbsp EVOO and peppers. Cook on medium high heat, while stirring to soften the vegetables 3-5min. Turn off heat, leaving on the burner. To continue to cook while cooling.
Meanwhile in a large preheated skillet, brown both sides of the tortillas. Set aside.
Place a ladle of tomato sauce(no vegetables) on the bottom of a round casserole dish large enough to hold the tortillas.
Place one toasted tortilla in casserole dish. Add another ladle of sauce with vegetables. Add 1/5 of the chicken, 3-4 slivers of peppers, roasted vegetables, 2-4 dollops of cream cheese, distribute 1/5 of the cheese.
Top with another toasted tortilla and continue until all of the filling and tortillas are finished.
Top with a tortilla and sprinkle the remaining cheddar.
Bake for 30min in a preheated 350F
Slice into pie wedges and serve hot.
You can make the tomato sauce ahead of time and refrigerate up to 3 days in advance. Use cold when needed to make the pie...no need to warm it up.
You'll also love
- Parmesan Chicken Breast 4.3/5 (106 Votes)
- Dutch Apple Crumbed Pie 3.7/5 (144 Votes)
- Easy Pie Crust 3.1/5 (238 Votes)
- Chicken Casserole with Cream 4.7/5 (66 Votes)
- Healthy Tuna Melt open-faced... 4.3/5 (121 Votes)
- The southwestern tamale casserole... 4.3/5 (81 Votes)
- Shepherd's Pie 3.5/5 (185 Votes)
- YUM!Food Porn Paleo Taco Soup 4.4/5 (61 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
These quick and easy chicken quesadillas are the perfect, last-minute family dinner!
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup of tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup of chives, chopped
- 1 tsp. of Mexican spice mix
- 4 Tortillas
- Salt, to taste
- Put shredded chicken breast, tomato sauce, chives, and mexican spice mix in a bowl and mix together.
- Lay out the tortillas. Place a slice of cheddar in the center, and cover with the chicken mix.
- Fold up tortillas, and heat in a frying pan until golden.