Sweet Potato Pie
Rich and decadent tasting but surprisingly healthy using sweet potatoes (yams) and yogourt!. A great treat for your Holiday meals
- Pie Crust Ingredients:
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 lg. egg + 3 tbsp. water
- 1/2 tbsp. coarse sugar for decoration
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 egg
- 3cups cooked, crumbled sweet potatoes (yams)
- 1 cup yogourt
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 1/8th tsp each of ground allspice, clove, nutmeg
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 30mins
Cost Average budget
Add water to the egg and whisk together, reserve 1 tbsp. for brushing dough.
Cut both shortenings into the flour with a pastry cutter to a pea size consistency. Add the egg mixture. Toss to coat. Gently form mixture into a ball. Refrigerate for 1 hr or up to 3 days ahead.
Roll out dough to 2" wider than your pie plate on a lightly floured surface or between 2 pieces of wax paper to approximately 1/4" thickness.
Dock or pierce the dough all over. This will allow steam to escape. Crimp the edges decoratively or cut leaf shapes with a sharp knife using extra dough and press onto edges.
Preheat the oven to 350F.
Add all ingredients into a food processor and blend until smooth. Do not over mix. Scrape into the pie shell. Smooth top.
Brush the remaining egg over the crust edges and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
Bake in the preheated oven for 40-50 min. until the crust becomes golden.
Can be prepared baked and frozen up to 1 month
You'll also love
- Rustic Pie with Beets, Apples and... 3.8/5 (209 Votes)
- WHOLE WHEAT & FLAX BREAD for... 4/5 (114 Votes)
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts 3.2/5 (168 Votes)
- Healthy Banana Date Mini Muffins 4.6/5 (9 Votes)
- Bottomless Strawberry Apple Pie 4.5/5 (21 Votes)
- Pilgrim Pumpkin Bars 4.3/5 (30 Votes)
- Grinch Kabobs 4.1/5 (52 Votes)
- Awesomest Pumpkin Pie Ever 4.2/5 (35 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Did you know you can toast sweet potato slices... and it's absolutely delicious!
- Slice an avocado in half.
- In a bowl, combine avocado with half an onion (diced) and coriander.
- Add the juice from half a lemon and some salt, and mix.
- Cut a sweet potato into 1/2 inch slices.
- Place in a toaster, making sure to toast both sides.
- Spread the avocado mix onto the toast. Enjoy!