- 2 cups (260 grams) all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter
- room temperature
- 1 cup (210 grams) dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable
- or safflower oil
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) unsulphured molasses (lightly grease measuring cup to prevent the molasses from sticking)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated white sugar for covering the cookie balls before baking
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
In a large bowl sift or whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and spices.
In the bowl of your electric mixer (or with a hand mixer), beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy (about 2 - 3 minutes). Add the oil, molasses, egg, and vanilla extract and beat until incorporated. Beat in the flour mixture mixture until well incorporated. Cover and chill the batter until firm (about 2 hours or overnight).
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
Place about 1 cup (200 grams) of white granulated sugar in a medium sized bowl. When the dough has chilled sufficiently, roll into 1 inch (2.5 cm) balls. Then roll the balls of dough into the sugar, coating them thoroughly. Place on the baking sheet, spacing about 2 inches (5 cm) apart and, with the bottom of a glass, flatten the cookies slightly. Bake for about 9 - 10 minutes, or until the tops of the cookies have crinkles yet are barely dry. (They will look a little underdone.) Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container for up to a week.
Makes about 3 dozen cookies.
You'll also love
- Willie's brownies 5/5 (1452 Votes)
- YUM!Food Porn Country Style Apple Pie 4.5/5 (1147 Votes)
- Spiced Apple and Marscapone Ravioli 4.4/5 (955 Votes)
- Lemon Meringue Tartlets 4.9/5 (229 Votes)
- Caramel Apple Tatin Cheesecake 3.9/5 (183 Votes)
- Insanely delicious cookies from... 3.2/5 (231 Votes)
- YUM!Food Porn 6 steps to chocolaty Oreo PARADISE 4.6/5 (90 Votes)
- Ginger Crinkles 4.9/5 (57 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
These salted caramel thumbprint cookies are easy to make and super delicious!
- 1/4 cup / 50g of softened butter
- 1 egg (divide the yolk and white)
- 1/4 cup / 50g of sugar
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup / 150g of flour
- 1 cup / 100g of chopped nuts
- Salted caramel
- Melted dark chocolate
In a bowl, mix together the butter, egg yolk, sugar, and salt.
Add the flour and mix. Roll into a ball.
Chill for 30 minutes.
Remove from refrigerator. Divide the dough and roll into 1-inch balls.
Dip each ball in egg yolk, and then roll in chopped nuts.
Place on baking sheet (lined with parchment paper), and press your thumb into the center.
Bake at 340°F/170°C for 12 minutes, or until golden.
Remove from oven and let cool.
Pour the salted caramel into the center groove,and drizzle with dark chocolate.