My Great-Great Grandmother’s Molasses Cookies with Date Filling
Memories of childhood, served best with a glass of cold milk
- 1 C. sugar
- 1 C. molasses
- 1 C. melted shortening
- 1 C. hot coffee or water mixed with 4 t. baking soda
- 1 t. vanilla
- 6 C. flour (varies)
- 2 t. cream of tartar
- 1 t. salt
- 1 egg
- 1 t. cinnamon
- 1 t. ginger
- 1/2 t. ground cloves
- Date filling:
- 1 pkg. pitted dates
- cut up
- 1 C. hot water
- 1 C. sugar plus 1 T. cornstarch
- mixed together
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1 T. butter
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 1mins
Cooking time 12mins
Cost Average budget
Mix all cookie ingredients together. Refrigerate dough overnight. (Use flour sparingly. Refrigeration will harden up dough). Roll out dough quite thin and cut with a large round cookie cutter. Bake at 375° for 10 minutes.
For date filling:
Chop up dates. Add water and sugar and cornstarch mixture. Cook until thick. Take off heat. Add vanilla and butter. Mix well. Cool completely before adding date mixture to cooled cookies.
Make sandwich cookies.
You'll also love
- Simple Hearty Chicken Pot Pie 2.9/5 (15 Votes)
- Cookies 2.8/5 (20 Votes)
- Chocolate Pecan Pie 2.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Simple Sugar Cookies 2.5/5 (4 Votes)
- butter tart filling 2.8/5 (18 Votes)
- Traditional Gingerbread Men Cookies 2.7/5 (25 Votes)
- Hamantaschen Dough and Filling 2.8/5 (14 Votes)
- Molasses Buns 2.8/5 (11 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
These salted caramel thumbprint cookies are easy to make and super delicious!
- 1/4 cup / 50g of softened butter
- 1 egg (divide the yolk and white)
- 1/4 cup / 50g of sugar
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup / 150g of flour
- 1 cup / 100g of chopped nuts
- Salted caramel
- Melted dark chocolate
In a bowl, mix together the butter, egg yolk, sugar, and salt.
Add the flour and mix. Roll into a ball.
Chill for 30 minutes.
Remove from refrigerator. Divide the dough and roll into 1-inch balls.
Dip each ball in egg yolk, and then roll in chopped nuts.
Place on baking sheet (lined with parchment paper), and press your thumb into the center.
Bake at 340°F/170°C for 12 minutes, or until golden.
Remove from oven and let cool.
Pour the salted caramel into the center groove,and drizzle with dark chocolate.