Sticky Toffee Pudding
A rich and comforting dessert from Scotland
- (Preheat oven to 350 degrees)
- SPONGE CAKE
- 1/4 c. butter
- 3/4 superfine sugar
- 2 eggs room temp.
- 1 and 3/4 c. flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 and 3/4 tsp baking powder for cake
- 1/2 c. chopped dates
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 285 mL. boiling water
- TOPPING SAUCE INGREDIENTS
- 1/2 c. butter
- 3/4 c. brown sugar
- 2 and 1/4 c. whipping cream (NOT whipped)
- 1 tsp. molasses (lite)
- 1 tsp corn syrup (dark)
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 40mins
Cooking time 20mins
Cost Average budget
Put chopped dates and baking soda in a heat proof glass container, and pour boiling water over top. Allow this to rest for a few minutes while you cream the butter etc. as this will soften the dates before adding later.
Cream your butter, sugar, and eggs in one bowl. In another, combine the salt, flour and baking powder.
Fold the four mixture into the butter mixture.
Now add the date liquid mixture to the combined butter/flour mix and stir.
Pour this sponge cake batter into a greased 9X9 inch pan.
Bake in a preheated oven for 20-30 min.
The topping for this is made easily by combining all of the ingredients and bringing to a light boil in a saucepan.
MAKE WITH LOVE!
(THAT WAY IT TASTES BETTER)
You'll also love
- Chocolate sponge cake with gnash 4.2/5 (11 Votes)
- Toblerone Mousse Sponge Cake 4.1/5 (30 Votes)
- Easy Pumpkin Cake 2.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Jello Cream Cheese Pie 2.4/5 (11 Votes)
- Pumpkin Pudding 2.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Mud Pie 2.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Traditional Gingerbread Men Cookies 2.7/5 (26 Votes)
- Gram's Molasses Cookies 2.3/5 (9 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
These salted caramel thumbprint cookies are easy to make and super delicious!
- 1/4 cup / 50g of softened butter
- 1 egg (divide the yolk and white)
- 1/4 cup / 50g of sugar
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup / 150g of flour
- 1 cup / 100g of chopped nuts
- Salted caramel
- Melted dark chocolate
In a bowl, mix together the butter, egg yolk, sugar, and salt.
Add the flour and mix. Roll into a ball.
Chill for 30 minutes.
Remove from refrigerator. Divide the dough and roll into 1-inch balls.
Dip each ball in egg yolk, and then roll in chopped nuts.
Place on baking sheet (lined with parchment paper), and press your thumb into the center.
Bake at 340°F/170°C for 12 minutes, or until golden.
Remove from oven and let cool.
Pour the salted caramel into the center groove,and drizzle with dark chocolate.