Chocolate sponge cake with gnash
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 4 tbsp cocoa
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 tsps baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 5 eggs- separated
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 cup boiling water
Level of difficulty Average
Cooking time 30mins
Cost Average budget
Preheat oven to 350•
Mix the first 5 ingredients. Make a well in the center and add the yolks into the well. Add the oil and water into the well, and beat into a smooth batter.
Beat egg whites and 1 tsp baking powder together until stiff peaks form.
Fold the whites into the batter. Pour into prepared pan.
Tap out bubbles from pan. Level batter in. Pan.
Bake for 30minutes or until tooth pick comes out clean.
Mix 100g of melted and slightly cooled chocolate with a small tin on nestle cream.
Spread this into the layers of cake and pour over the cake, allowing it to flow over the sides.
Garnish with whipped cream rosettes.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
Craving sweet? This rustic cherry tart is easy, quick and delicious!
- 1 shortcrust pastry
- 3 cups / 750 g. of cherries
- 1/3 cup / 60 g. of sugar
- 2/3 cup / 60 g. of almond flour
- 4 tbsp. of brown sugar
- A dash of milk
- Mix the cherries and sugar together. Let stand 20 minutes.
- Spread or roll out the shortcrust pastry, sprinkle with almond powder and brown sugar.
- Place the cherries in the center of the dough, leaving about 2 inches of free dough on the edges. Fold in the edges.
- Brush with milk (this will make the crust go golden), sprinkle with brown sugar and bake for 20 minutes at 350°F/180°C.
- Top with a handful of chopped pistachios, and serve!