- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 large tub of sour cream
- 1/2 cup olive oil
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 20mins
Cost Average budget
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt & sugar.
Grate the cheese and combine it with the flour mixture.
In a small bowl, beat the eggs and add the sour cream and oil until combined.
Gradually add the "wet" ingredients to the "dry" ingredients until moistened. The dough mixture will be slightly crumbly.
Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface, or use a layer of parchment paper to knead on. Knead dough for 2-3 minutes. If it is crumbly, add a few drops of milk.
Roll the dough to 3/4 inch thickness and use a round cookie cutter to cut into sections. If you don't have a cookie cutter, simply section the dough into small squares.
Bake in the centre of the oven for 15 minutes. Use parchment paper on the baking sheet for quick easy cleanup.
Let cool for 5 minutes & serve.
These scones are excellent for freezing. Simply thaw and reheat in the microwave for that just baked taste.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
Try this clever trick to make the perfect zebra cake!
- 2 large water or soda bottles (empty)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 sticks butter
- 6 eggs
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Ready 2 large plastic bottles, cleaned and dried.
- Add 1 cup of flour to each bottle.
- Add 1/2 cup of sugar to each.
- Melt butter, then add equal halves to each bottle.
- Add 6 eggs, 3 in each.
- Add 1/2 tbsp of baking powder to each.
- Add 1/2 cup of heavy cream to each.
- Shake the bottles thoroughly until the contents are well mixed.
- In one of the bottles only, add the cocoa powder.
- Beginning with the cocoa powder mixture, add a dolop of batter to the center of a circular
- baking tin. Do the same with the other mixture, placing the dolop directly in the center of the previous one.
- Continue with alternating additions of each mixture until all batter is used and the tin is full.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!