Baked Mac & Cheese with Cornbread Crust
- 2 cornbread muffins, like Jiffy brand already made
- 1/2 pound elbow macaroni
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 3 Tbsp. flour
- 1 Tbsp. powdered mustard
- 3 cups milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 egg
- 12 ounces shredded cheese
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Boil pasta until al dente. While pasta is cooking, assemble the sauce in a deep sauce pan.
Add butter and let melt, add flour and mustard to pan and cook, whisking continuously for 5 minutes over medium low heat.
Add milk and dried spices. Bring to simmer and let cook for 10 minutes, stirring continuously. Add 3/4 of the cheese and let melt.
Add pasta to pan and mix thoroughly. Place mixture into greased oven safe dish.
Top with remaining cheese. Crumble the cornbread into small pieces resembling bread crumbs, toss this with a couple tablespoons melted butter. Place this on top of cheese.
Bake this for 30 minutes uncovered or until bubbly. If you are making this after the casserole sat in the fridge it will need an additional 10 minutes.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
You'll drool over this 3 cheese, bacon-wrapped baguette.
- Blue cheese
- Cheddar cheese
- 1 baguette
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- Cut your cheeses into thin slices
- Slice baguette down the middle (like a sandwich)
- Layer cheddar, blue, and mozarella cheese inside the bread
- Top with sun-dried tomatoes
- Close baguette and wrap with bacon strips
- Put in oven and bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees
- Slice and serve!