- 3 - 4 Russet potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 cup grated old cheddar cheese
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 60mins
Cost Average budget
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Scrub potatoes and leave skin on.
In a bowl mix 1/2 cup milk with the cornstarch until well mixed.
All the remaining milk, salt & pepper and microwave on high for 2 minutes.
Remove the milk mixture from the microwave and stir thoroughly. Put back into the microwave for an additional 2 minutes, then remove & stir again. (Be careful the mixture may be hot!) Continue this process until the milk mixture has thickened.
In the meantime, slice the potatoes very thinly.
Grease an oven safe 8x8 pyrex dish and spread a layer of potatoes (use 1/3 of the potatoes) to cover the entire dish.
Add 1/2 of the grated cheese to the milk mixture and stir. Pour 1/3 of the mixture over the potatoes. Add a 2nd layer of potatoes and another 1/3 of the milk & cheese mixture and then the final layer.
Cover the dish with a lid or aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven, uncover and add remaining cheese on top. Return to oven for another 15 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
If desired, sprinkle paprika or cayenne pepper on top.
These potatoes make delicious leftovers.
You'll also love
- Stuffed Eggplant 3.9/5 (429 Votes)
- Lemon Meringue Tartlets 4.9/5 (229 Votes)
- Hungarian Zucchini Squash with... 4.6/5 (165 Votes)
- Recipewe ♡ Authentic Puerto Rican Domplines 4.3/5 (183 Votes)
- YUM!Food Porn Savoyarde Crozet Pasta Bake 4.5/5 (128 Votes)
- Tortilla Pie 4.2/5 (97 Votes)
- Easy Bean and Pepper Chili 4.1/5 (99 Votes)
- Sole Medallion with foie gras 4.6/5 (77 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Make that special someone swoon with these adorable, delicious bacon potato roses!