I think my dad got this recipe from his mom.
- 1/2 cup Shortening
- 1 cup Margarine
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 8 cups Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Powdered cloves or Cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons Baking soda
- 1 1/3 cups Molasses
- 3/4 cup Boiling water
- 1/2 cup Warm water
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 35mins
Cost Average budget
In a large bowl sift sugar, flour, salt, and cloves (or cinnamon).
Melt shortening and margarine together. Add molasses to melted mixture. Pour boiling water into a cup on top of baking soda and add to molasses mixture. Pour molasses mixture on top of sifted ingredients. Add warm water. Mix thoroughly until white flour is brown.
Roll into 2 inch balls and place snugly together in ungreased glass dishes. Stab with a fork and bake at 325 F for 30-40 mins.
You'll also love
- 3 ingredient pancakes 2.8/5 (11 Votes)
- Lemon Jello Dessert 2.8/5 (11 Votes)
- Swiss Butter Cream Icing 2.8/5 (16 Votes)
- Mom's Baked Beans 2.8/5 (11 Votes)
- Honey Wheat Bread II 2.8/5 (10 Votes)
- Southern Sweet Potatoe Pie with... 2.8/5 (10 Votes)
- Spitzbuben 2.8/5 (5 Votes)
- Sticky Toffee Pudding 2.8/5 (5 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
These salted caramel thumbprint cookies are easy to make and super delicious!
- 1/4 cup / 50g of softened butter
- 1 egg (divide the yolk and white)
- 1/4 cup / 50g of sugar
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup / 150g of flour
- 1 cup / 100g of chopped nuts
- Salted caramel
- Melted dark chocolate
In a bowl, mix together the butter, egg yolk, sugar, and salt.
Add the flour and mix. Roll into a ball.
Chill for 30 minutes.
Remove from refrigerator. Divide the dough and roll into 1-inch balls.
Dip each ball in egg yolk, and then roll in chopped nuts.
Place on baking sheet (lined with parchment paper), and press your thumb into the center.
Bake at 340°F/170°C for 12 minutes, or until golden.
Remove from oven and let cool.
Pour the salted caramel into the center groove,and drizzle with dark chocolate.