The cinnamon roll
These cinnamon buns make the house smell delicious in the morning and are as easy as popping them in the oven in the morning if you have guests and refrigerated the dough. When you take a bite of these warm gooey cinnamon treats you know that all the effort the day before was worth it. The filling is moist and scrumptiously sweet complimented perfectly by the soft unsweetened bread. The potato eliminates a lot of density yet is invisible in the finished product. Drizzle your favorite cream cheese or butter icing and the days made.
- 1 small potato
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 1/2 cups flour +more for kneading
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active yeast (1 pkg.)
- 3/4 cup butter(room temp.)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 90mins
Cooking time 35mins
Cost Average budget
Boil washed potato in water mixed with 1/2 tsp of salt that covers at least 1 inch. Cook until tender. Meanwhile, combine the flour, 1/2 cup of sugar, yeast & 1 tsp salt in a large bowl.
Keep 1 1/4 cups of boiled water reserved while you drain the potato. Mash potato (discard skins) and add 1/4 cup of butter stirring until melted. When cool add to flour mixture with potato and egg. Kneed by hand for 10 min until smooth & elastic. Add flour when sticking.
Place in a greased bowl and cover. Let rise in a warm place for 1 hour until doubled in size. Grease a 9 by 13inch pan then roll out the dough into a 8 by 12 rectangle. Spread butter then sprinkle the brown sugar, cinnamon mixture evenly on top of the butter evenly.
Roll tightly with the help of plastic wrap and cut into 12 even 1 inch slices arrange on pan. Cover and let rise again for 1 hour (can keep in the fridge after rising over night).
Once returned to room temperature bake in 350 degree oven for 35-40 minutes until golden brown. When cooled slightly drizzle with icing. Best eaten warm
To have the centres of the cinnamon rolls puff up roll the dough tightly. Try adding raisins or nuts underneath the sugar to have a delicious surprise.
More rolling means more center, yum!
You'll also love
- Willie's brownies 5/5 (1452 Votes)
- YUM!Food Porn Country Style Apple Pie 4.5/5 (1147 Votes)
- Spiced Apple and Marscapone Ravioli 4.4/5 (955 Votes)
- The best yeast rolls, proofed in... 4.2/5 (125 Votes)
- Algerian Bourek Chicken 4.6/5 (110 Votes)
- Parker House Rolls 4.1/5 (120 Votes)
- Pumpkin Bread 4.7/5 (72 Votes)
- Cinnamon Toast, the Pioneer Woman... 4.5/5 (79 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Sweet Apple Cinnamon Rolls
Pie crust dough
1/8 cup brown sugar
1/8 cup almond powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1. Halve an apple and slice each half finely.
2. Cut the top of a pie crust to get a straight edge.
3. Spread the brown sugar and almond powder all over the dough.
4. To get the first row, line up the apples in a straight line and cut out the section. Continue until all the dough is all used up.
5. Mix egg yellow and milk and cover each roll with the mixture.
6. If you wish, sprinkle a little extra brown sugar on top of each roll.
7. Bake in the oven for 18 min at 350° F.