Shoe Fly Pie
This is a tasty PA German classic!
- 3/4 cup dark molasses
- 3.4 cup boiling water
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 and 1 cup flour
- 1/4-1 1/2 cup shortening
- 4 TB butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 9 in pastry
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 40mins
Cost Average budget
Dissolve baking soda in hot water and add molasses.
Combine sugar, flour andrub in shortening and butter enough to make crumbs.
Pour 1/3 of the liquid in unbaked crust then add 1/3 of the crumb mix. Continue altering layers ending with crumbs on top.
Bake at 375 degrees for 40 mins.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
Craving sweet? This rustic cherry tart is easy, quick and delicious!
- 1 shortcrust pastry
- 3 cups / 750 g. of cherries
- 1/3 cup / 60 g. of sugar
- 2/3 cup / 60 g. of almond flour
- 4 tbsp. of brown sugar
- A dash of milk
- Mix the cherries and sugar together. Let stand 20 minutes.
- Spread or roll out the shortcrust pastry, sprinkle with almond powder and brown sugar.
- Place the cherries in the center of the dough, leaving about 2 inches of free dough on the edges. Fold in the edges.
- Brush with milk (this will make the crust go golden), sprinkle with brown sugar and bake for 20 minutes at 350°F/180°C.
- Top with a handful of chopped pistachios, and serve!