Easy German Chocolate Layer Cake
- 1 package German chocolate cake mix
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- For the Coconut-Almond Frosting:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 (7 oz. package) sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 cup sliced almonds
Level of difficulty Easy
Cooking time 42mins
Cost Average budget
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Mix the cake mix, buttermilk, oil, eggs and vanilla in a large mixing bowl on low speed for one minute until combined. Beat at medium speed for two minutes more.
3. Pour into greased and floured 13 x 9 baking dish. Bake 38 – 42 minutes until the cake springs back when lightly pressed.
4. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.
To prepare the frosting:
1. Combined butter, sugar, evaporated milk and eggs* in a saucepan.
2. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, for about 12 minutes or until thickened.
3. Add vanilla, coconut and almonds.
4. Cool to room temperature before frosting cake.
This cake can also be baked in two 9 inch round pans for 30 - 35 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes and remove from pans.
You'll also love
- Strawberry Layer Cake with Cream 4.5/5 (28 Votes)
- Skip A Meal Banana Chia Seed... 4.5/5 (17 Votes)
- Jenna's nachos 4.5/5 (17 Votes)
- Apple Crunch 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter... 4.1/5 (16 Votes)
- Curd "peat" cake 4.1/5 (17 Votes)
- Oreo Rice Krispies 4.1/5 (8 Votes)
- Lemon Cream Cheese Pound Cake 4/5 (177 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Craving sweet? This rustic cherry tart is easy, quick and delicious!
- 1 shortcrust pastry
- 3 cups / 750 g. of cherries
- 1/3 cup / 60 g. of sugar
- 2/3 cup / 60 g. of almond flour
- 4 tbsp. of brown sugar
- A dash of milk
- Mix the cherries and sugar together. Let stand 20 minutes.
- Spread or roll out the shortcrust pastry, sprinkle with almond powder and brown sugar.
- Place the cherries in the center of the dough, leaving about 2 inches of free dough on the edges. Fold in the edges.
- Brush with milk (this will make the crust go golden), sprinkle with brown sugar and bake for 20 minutes at 350°F/180°C.
- Top with a handful of chopped pistachios, and serve!