The quintessential Canadian classic.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 5 tbsp cocoa
- 1 tsp vanillla
- 1 beaten egg
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 cups finely crushed graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup coconut
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 30mins
Cost Average budget
Combine the first four ingredients and melt over hot water. Cool slightly and add the last four ingredients. Combine the two mixtures and press into a 9x9" pan.
For the custard icing, combine 1/2 cup of melted butter, 2 cups of icing sugar, 2 tbsp of custard powder, and a 1/4 cup milk. Spread on the bottom layer and chill.
Make chocolate icing: melt 4 squares of semisweet baking chocolate with 2 tsp butter. Spread on top.
You'll also love
- Tortiere 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Cold Stone Creamery Cake Batter... 3.2/5 (38 Votes)
- Skinny Funfetti Cupcakes 3.7/5 (18 Votes)
- Baked Peaches and Yams 3.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Arrowroot Squares 3.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Dates stuffed with almond paste 3.9/5 (14 Votes)
- Strawberry Pie with Coconut 3.9/5 (13 Votes)
- Rice Krispie Balls 3.6/5 (85 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
These salted caramel thumbprint cookies are easy to make and super delicious!
- 1/4 cup / 50g of softened butter
- 1 egg (divide the yolk and white)
- 1/4 cup / 50g of sugar
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup / 150g of flour
- 1 cup / 100g of chopped nuts
- Salted caramel
- Melted dark chocolate
In a bowl, mix together the butter, egg yolk, sugar, and salt.
Add the flour and mix. Roll into a ball.
Chill for 30 minutes.
Remove from refrigerator. Divide the dough and roll into 1-inch balls.
Dip each ball in egg yolk, and then roll in chopped nuts.
Place on baking sheet (lined with parchment paper), and press your thumb into the center.
Bake at 340°F/170°C for 12 minutes, or until golden.
Remove from oven and let cool.
Pour the salted caramel into the center groove,and drizzle with dark chocolate.