Strawberry Pie with Coconut
By Rahni Sarah
- 1 roll pastry dough broken down
- 1 lb very fragrant strawberries
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 egg yolks
- 2/3 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tbsp redcurrant jelly
- 1 tbsp strawberry liqueur
- Shredded coconut
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 20mins
Cost Budget Friendly
Preheat the oven to 400 °.
Place parchment paper in a pie or tart pan. Place the crust over. Place another sheet of parchment paper over the pie shell and cover with dried beans or pastry weights. Place on a middle rack in the oven and bake 15 to 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare the cream: warm milk, then mix in the coconut milk. Mix well. In a separate bowl, work the sugar with the egg and yolks until frothy. Stir in flour, then the two milk mixture. Pour into a heavy saucepan, and heat. While beating, cook until thickened. Watch out, because the cream thickens very quickly, much more than traditional custard. Remove from heat and stir in the cream to bring smoothness. Mix well with a whisk and allow to cool.
When the pastry is cooked, remove from oven. Allow to cool.
Prepare the strawberries, wash them, then hull them. Dry them on a cloth and cut into two.
When the pastry and cream and are very cold, pour cream into pie dish. Add strawberries pushing them into the cream slightly.
Prepare the topping: In a small saucepan, add the red currant jelly. Heat over very low heat to liquefy. Remove from heat and stir in strawberry liqueur . The topping will gel as it cools.
Refrigerate until serving time. Before serving, garnish with grated coconut.
You'll also love
- Chess Pie 3.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Foie Gras with crusty gingerbread... 3.6/5 (13 Votes)
- PREACHER COOKIES 3.1/5 (196 Votes)
- Fudge Brownie Pie 3.6/5 (11 Votes)
- Rice Krispie Balls 3.6/5 (85 Votes)
- Apple and breton biscuits tart... 3/5 (223 Votes)
- Harissah - Middle Eastern Coconut... 3.2/5 (16 Votes)
- Tuna Tart 3.8/5 (6 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Craving sweet? This rustic cherry tart is easy, quick and delicious!
- 1 shortcrust pastry
- 3 cups / 750 g. of cherries
- 1/3 cup / 60 g. of sugar
- 2/3 cup / 60 g. of almond flour
- 4 tbsp. of brown sugar
- A dash of milk
- Mix the cherries and sugar together. Let stand 20 minutes.
- Spread or roll out the shortcrust pastry, sprinkle with almond powder and brown sugar.
- Place the cherries in the center of the dough, leaving about 2 inches of free dough on the edges. Fold in the edges.
- Brush with milk (this will make the crust go golden), sprinkle with brown sugar and bake for 20 minutes at 350°F/180°C.
- Top with a handful of chopped pistachios, and serve!