Texas Sheet Cake
A mildly spiced chocolate cake that is rich & moist.
- Jelly roll pan
- 2 C sugar
- 2 C flour
- 1 atick butter or margarine
- 1/2 C vegetable oil
- 4 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 C water
- 1/2 C buttermilk
- 2 eggs slightly beaten
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 stick butter or margarine
- 4 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 6 Tbsp milk
- 1 1lb box powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- 1 C chopped nuts (pecans)
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 20mins
Cost Average budget
Grease & flour jelly roll pan. Set aside. Into large mixing bowl, sift flour & sugar. Make a well in the center.
Preheat oven to 400* F. In medium saucepan put butter, oil, cocoa & water; bring to a boil. Pour over flour & sugar & mix well. Add remaining cake ingredients & mix well. Pour into jellyroll pan & place in preheated oven. Bake 15 to 20 minutes til center of cake springs back when touched. Pour frosting over hot cake. While cake is baking, prepare frosting.
In medium saucepan put butter, cocoa & milk. Bring to a boil & remove from heat. Stir in the powdered sugar, vanilla & nuts if desired. Pour over hot cake when it is removed from the oven. Smooth icing over cake & place pan on cooling rack to cool completely.
May leave nuts out of frosting & just sprinkle them on top. If using nuts I sprinkle them over half of the cake for those who may not like nuts.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
Try this clever trick to make the perfect zebra cake!
- 2 large water or soda bottles (empty)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 sticks butter
- 6 eggs
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Ready 2 large plastic bottles, cleaned and dried.
- Add 1 cup of flour to each bottle.
- Add 1/2 cup of sugar to each.
- Melt butter, then add equal halves to each bottle.
- Add 6 eggs, 3 in each.
- Add 1/2 tbsp of baking powder to each.
- Add 1/2 cup of heavy cream to each.
- Shake the bottles thoroughly until the contents are well mixed.
- In one of the bottles only, add the cocoa powder.
- Beginning with the cocoa powder mixture, add a dolop of batter to the center of a circular
- baking tin. Do the same with the other mixture, placing the dolop directly in the center of the previous one.
- Continue with alternating additions of each mixture until all batter is used and the tin is full.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!