Red Velvet Cake
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 T cocoa powder
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 T red food coloring
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 tsp baking soda
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
in a stand mixer beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. add eggs one at a time mixing well after each. Scrape sides of bowl. add in vanilla.
mix flour, cocoa and salt together in a separate bowl. add food coloring into butter milk. add the flour alternately with butter milk into the butter mixture. mix together the baking soda and vinegar until fizzy. add to batter and mix well. Pour into greased and floured pans. Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. cool for 10 minutes in pans the invert onto wire racks to cool completely. Ice with cream cheese icing.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
Try this clever trick to make the perfect zebra cake!
- 2 large water or soda bottles (empty)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 sticks butter
- 6 eggs
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Ready 2 large plastic bottles, cleaned and dried.
- Add 1 cup of flour to each bottle.
- Add 1/2 cup of sugar to each.
- Melt butter, then add equal halves to each bottle.
- Add 6 eggs, 3 in each.
- Add 1/2 tbsp of baking powder to each.
- Add 1/2 cup of heavy cream to each.
- Shake the bottles thoroughly until the contents are well mixed.
- In one of the bottles only, add the cocoa powder.
- Beginning with the cocoa powder mixture, add a dolop of batter to the center of a circular
- baking tin. Do the same with the other mixture, placing the dolop directly in the center of the previous one.
- Continue with alternating additions of each mixture until all batter is used and the tin is full.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!